Monday 21 January 2013

Method Writing

I was reading about Daniel Day Lewis and how he stayed in character throughout the shooting of Lincoln. Sally Field was asked about it and said that most actors do it to a degree and especially those who are devotees of Method Acting. It's just that Daniel does it a bit more than most.

And I was thinking, should we be Method Writing our novel? Generally speaking I've been writing Trip's letters and Karin's been filling in Ruth's story. When we write the dialogue I tend to be him and Karin her.

So, should I be inhabiting the character of Trip, and Karin living as Ruth? It could certainly help me divorce him from the other voice that keeps interrupting when I'm writing the letters or trying to be sparkling and funny in the dialogue scenes - my own.

And, of course, Trip is dead, which provides ample time for snoozing.

No comments:

Post a Comment