Tuesday 15 January 2013

Let's Get Physical

I've a feeling I'm going to talk a lot about editing and feedback as we travel our road to a place on the shelves at Waterstones.

I spent yesterday in a meeting room in a corporate office in a humdrum town. As part of my real life I'm developing some stuff for a management consultancy. It was time to sit there whilst they looked at what I'd produced. Line by line, word by word.

This is fine. I like second, third, fourth opinions. I'm slapdash by nature. My first attempt always leaves plenty of room for improvement. I like feedback. Collaboration.

At yesterday's meeting I had one offering that I thought was original and different. Sexy even. And they didn't like it. Not a bit. In fact they hated it (but were far too polite to say so). Still, they're the client. I nodded, backed down, suggested a change, moved on, passed GO and collected my cheque.

I need to be similarly hard-hearted when it comes to my more artistic leanings. I've been unpublished for ever and so I find myself seeking affirmation in a way I don't in my professional life. This holds us "amateurs" back I feel. We're flabby and needy. We need to be more like honed and focused athletes aiming for Olympic Glory (or Strictly Come Dancing) standing there, taking the feedback square on the chin. Applying, improving, moving on.

1 comment: