Friday 13 December 2013

The Last Line of a Novel. Is it Important?

Our lovely Carina editor sent us through a copy of our book, exactly as it is to be e-published on Tuesday. It's a free copy to be distributed to bloggers and reviewers – in fact we are under strict instructions to give it to anyone willing to put a 5 star review up on Amazon in exchange. So anyone easily bribed, do let us know!

So, I spent a few hours reading my own book on Kindle, which is more than I have anyone else's book. And it seems to scrub up OK. I don't know if I've just read and rewritten the start so many times that I'm blind to it, or whether it just took us 50 pages to find our voice and stride, but the book doesn't seem to get going until Paris. But then it definitely goes boom, or kapow, or at the very least a little bit whee and pop.

I was actually quite gripped by some of the later bits - Karin's stuff mainly, some of which I'm not entirely sure I'd read before. That's teamwork for you, the Twynam way. I even cried at a bit.

And so I reached the end thinking, oh well it may disappear without trace, but I'm pretty pleased with it. Woody Allen is famously dismissive of his films. He says they never come out how he saw them in his head. Broadway Danny Rose did, but little else. Well, I'd say this came out even better than I saw it in my head, sketching it out when walking on the Long Mynd with Anne about two years ago and for that Karin should be mighty proud.


The only thing is, I reached the end and they've missed out the very last line. I think a proof-reader has been over zealous. It is a strange line. The book still makes sense without it and I rather think that's how it may be published until or if we can rectify it. If it is, I'll share the proper last line exclusively here! Or run a competition so you can guess it.

No comments:

Post a Comment