Monday 30 September 2013

Casting the TV series, take 2

"Ooh, casting the TV series, what fun!" I thought, reading Gary's post below.

Well, I was wrong, it's not fun, it's  frustrating.  The problem is that the only TV I watch is the Great British Bake Off (Ruby, anyone?) and the last few weeks of Strictly when it's dark outside and the fire's on.  Although I have to confess to switching on and enjoying Agents of SHIELD this week, but none of the actors stood out.

I like Anne and Gary's three possibilities for the older Trip, although would plump for either one of Jack Davenport or Stephen Mangan before the too posh Julian Rhind-Tutt - have never seen Trip as a blond.    Of the three, Stephen Mangan gets my vote.  (And Gazza and I did cast him earlier during one of our writing get togethers, which he appears to have forgotten.  But then both of us have forgotten who was Ruth.)

Having never seen Louise Delamere act, it's hard to tell if she's Ruthie, certainly she has the right looks.  More importantly, she has the right husband.  Gotta adore that idea!  I've always fancied Keeley Hawes could make the role hers, but frankly the married couple trump her.

Older Trip = Stephen Mangan
Older Ruth = Louise Delamere

Sorted.

Now the frustration.  The younger versions of Ruth and Trip.

Karen Gillen just ain't doing it for me.  Too, I don't know, too long-legged, too big-eyed, too...just too everything.  Haven't been able to choose a substitute though - feel free to make suggestions below.  In fact, I implore you, make suggestions below so I don't have to go with Gillen.

Joe Thomas for Trip?  Not a clue about him and have nobody to suggest as an alternative, so young Trip he will be.

Younger Ruth = to be confirmed
Younger Trip = Joe Thomas

Hmmmm, not as satisfying an exercise as it could have been.  If you've read the first couple of chapters - here they are http://garytwynamandkarindixon.blogspot.co.uk/p/wish-you-were-excerpt.html - give us your views.

You never know, it might be important in the future...




1 comment: